Saturday, June 21, 2008

Book Reviews

I'm now officially on summer break. So I have been doing some serious reading. I thought I would give you a run down of the books I've been reading just in case you are trying to find a good book for the summer.Pope Joan is an historical fiction about a woman pope in medieval times. I was a little skeptical about this book because it is normally not my type of story, but I have to say that I really got into it. I especially liked how the author wove in historical facts. I learned a lot about the church and life at that time. I highly recommend this book.


Deception Point is a fast paced adventure and mystery. It was a fun read and I flew through it. This would be a great book for a vacation. This book; however, was not very thought provoking and if you're looking for a book to give you new insight on life this is not the one. It is pure entertainment in value.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a realistic fiction about a doctor who gives up his baby because she has down syndrome. I really enjoyed this story. It was very touching and definitely thought provoking. It was pretty intense and I wouldn't suggest this book if you are trying to escape. This has probably been my favorite one so far.


The Other Boleyn Girl is a historical fiction about Anne Boleyn's sister. I really enjoyed this book too and I learned a lot about British history. I thought at times the characters were a bit unbelievable and it is hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction. This book is also very long 660 pages. It has taken me a good week to plow through it.

Family history is about family relationships during tragedy. This story was well written and I had a hard time putting it down. It was sad and in the end not much is resolved, but I enjoyed that it was a very honest glimpse of a family.

No comments: